INCI ADOPTED NAME
Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin
Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB is a 100% natural broad spectrum alternative preservation system comprised of three functional components:
- • Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation
- • Glyceryl Caprylate: A 100% natural skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation
- • Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier to provide an easy-to-formulate broad spectrum system
- • Broad pH range: pH 4 – 8
- • Recommended use level: 1.0 – 1.5% (w/w)
- • Effective in Surfactant systems, Emulsions including Sunscreens, and Wipes or Mask Juices
- • Easy to formulate: Heat to ~45-50°C and mix prior to addition, preferentially to the water phase or at the end of the formulation.
MICRO SUMMARY: Broad Spectrum Efficacy
- • Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- • Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- • Pass results with recommended use level at pH 5.0 and 6.5: 1.0 – 1.5% (w/w)
- • Pass results in Surfactant systems, Emulsions including Sunscreens, and Wipes or Mask Juices
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB is an optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to use Hurdle Technology to create self-preserving formulations. The Hurdle Technology approach rethinks traditional preservation. Instead of using one powerful preservative, multiple barriers to microbial growth (or “hurdles”), can be established to keep microorganisms in check by creating an environment that is hostile to microorganisms. Common barriers in cosmetic preservation with Hurdle Technology include optimized combinations or multifunctional ingredients, formulation pH, and good manufacturing principles.
*US PATENT: 8993641 B2