Spectrastat™ MHG Natural MB
Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Methylheptylglycerin (and) Glycerin
Multi-Benefit Plant-Based Preservation
Spectrastat™ MHG Natural MB is a multi-benefit system that is NATRUE approved and contains 100% certified biobased content. As a preservation system, it provides complete broad spectrum protection against bacteria, yeast, and mold. It also controls odor and provides anti-soaping benefits all while preserving the skin’s microbiome.
- Broad pH range
- Cold processable
- Effective in emulsions, surfactant-based systems, and wipes
- Preserves skin’s microbiome
- Anti-soaping effects
- Odor control benefits
- Broad spectrum performance
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 0.5 – 2.0% (w/w)
Standards & CertificationsView Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level for Preservation:
- O/W Emulsion: 1.0 - 1.5%
- O/W Sunscreens: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Cleansers: 1.5 - 2.0%
- Wipe Juices: 0.5 - 1.5%
Recommended Use Level for Anti-Soaping Emulsion:
- 2.0 - 2.75%
- For use in cold or hot process
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C).
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
Sustainability is embedded in INOLEX's design philosophy. Spectrastat™ MHG Natural MB design was guided by the Principles of Green Chemistry and life cycle thinking.
Green Chemistry & Sustainable Life Cycle Highlights:
- renewable feedstocks
- readily biodegradable
- safe catalysts used
- no solvents used
- non-aqueous product
- benign starting materials makes for safer chemical synthesis
- contributes to a safely preserved formula for consumer use
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ MHG Natural MB includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Methylheptylglycerin: Anti-soaping agent and skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.
Methylheptylglycerin Mechanism of Action
Preservation Mechanism of Action
Medium-chain amphiphilic compound that interacts with cell membranes (lipid bilayers) enhancing cell permeability.
Deodorant Odor Control Mechanism of Action
Interacts with gram+ bacteria, e.g. Staphylococcus hominis, the gram+ bacteria in the underarm area that is responsible for excreting the malodor-causing thioalcohol
Anti-Soaping Emulsions Mechanism of Action
Amphiphilic methyl-branched C8 carbon chain has higher dynamic surface activity than long chain emulsifiers and reduces emulsifier adsorption at the air-water interface
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
INOLEX Granted New Patent for Preservation Technology
Demonstrating a commitment to advancing the field of safe, effective, and sustainable options for alternative preservation of formulated products.