Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB
Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin
100% Natural Broad Spectrum Preservation System
Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB is a plant-based, optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to create self-preserving natural formulations.
- Broad pH range
- Effective in cleansing compositions, emulsions, wipes lotions and color cosmetics
- 100% certified biobased content
- Broad spectrum performance
- Self-preserving from Hurdle Technology approach
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.5 – 2.0% (w/w)
Standards & CertificationsView Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level: 1.5 - 2%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
Sustainability is embedded in INOLEX's design philosophy. Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB design was guided by the Principles of Green Chemistry and life cycle thinking.
Green Chemistry & Sustainable Life Cycle Highlights:
- renewable feedstocks
- expected to be readily biodegradable*
- safe catalysts used
- non-aqueous product
- benign starting materials makes for safer chemical synthesis
- contributes to a safely preserved formula for consumer use
*based on its structure and/or the biodegradability of its components
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Glyceryl Caprylate: A skin conditioning agent and emulsifying agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation.
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.
Prototypes Created With This Product
The Conditioner Bar
A sustainable take on a traditional conditioner, this waterless and easy-rinse bar delivers strengthening & conditioning with amino acid based conditioning agent, AminoSensyl™ HC.
Natural Daily Conditioner
A basic conditioner chassis for everyday use made with 100% plant-based ingredients.
UnVisible Sunscreen SPF35
The UnVisible Sunscreen uses inorganic UV filters for SPF 35 protection and a pigment combination, dispersed with LexFeel™ WOW DT, that eliminates the white chalky appearance on all skin tones.
Dual Phase Makeup Remover
This dual-phase makeup remover mixes together with an easy shake to provide a frothy cleaning emulsion that is ideal for removing stubborn waterproof and long wear makeup.
Deep Hydration Day + Night Cream
A versatile, deeply hydrating cream to reinvigorate dry, dull skin. The emulsification power coupled with the novel quat-free cationic structure of AminoSensyl™ SC allows for a high oil load with a soft, powdery after-feel.
Strategies for Designing Sustainable Products
Explore the interactive tool on 'The 5 Guiding Requirements' to sustainable product design with functional ingredients.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.