Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB
Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin
100% Natural Broad Spectrum Preservation System
Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB is a plant-based, optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to create self-preserving natural formulations.
- Broad pH range
- Effective in cleansing compositions, emulsions, wipes lotions and color cosmetics
- 100% certified biobased content
- Broad spectrum performance
- Self-preserving from Hurdle Technology approach
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.5 – 2.0% (w/w)
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level: 1.5 - 2.0%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
- For clear formulations, solubilize using LexSolv™ Essential
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
Sustainability is embedded in INOLEX's design philosophy. Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB design was guided by the Principles of Green Chemistry and life cycle thinking.
Green Chemistry & Sustainable Life Cycle Highlights:
- renewable feedstocks
- expected to be readily biodegradable*
- safe catalysts used
- non-aqueous product
- benign starting materials makes for safer chemical synthesis
- contributes to a safely preserved formula for consumer use
*based on its structure and/or the biodegradability of its components
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ G2 Natural MB includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Glyceryl Caprylate: A skin conditioning agent and emulsifying agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation.
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.
Prototypes Created With This Product
The Conditioner Bar
A sustainable take on a traditional conditioner, this waterless and easy-rinse bar delivers strengthening & conditioning with amino acid based conditioning agent, AminoSensyl™ HC.
UnVisible Sunscreen SPF35
The UnVisible Sunscreen uses inorganic UV filters for SPF 35 protection and a pigment combination, dispersed with LexFeel™ WOW DT, that eliminates the white chalky appearance on all skin tones.
Deep Hydration Day + Night Cream
A versatile, deeply hydrating cream to reinvigorate dry, dull skin. The emulsification power coupled with the novel quat-free cationic structure of AminoSensyl™ SC allows for a high oil load with a soft, powdery after-feel.
Smooth Shave Lotion
This silky lotion conditions and preps the skin for a comfortable and close shave. It is gentle on sensitive skin and delivers slip and easy glide for the ideal shaving experience.
Strategies for Designing Sustainable Products
Explore the interactive tool on 'The 5 Guiding Requirements' to sustainable product design with functional ingredients.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.