Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Glycerin
Versatile Broad Spectrum Preservation System
Spectrastat™ is a widely used optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to create self-preserving formulations.
- Broad pH range
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Broad spectrum performance
- Self-preserving from Hurdle Technology approach
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 0.8 – 1.5% (w/w)
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 0.8 - 1.5%
- O/W Sunscreens: 0.8 - 1.5%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Caprylyl Glycol: A skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.
Prototypes Created With This Product
Gentle Exfoliating Cream Cleanser
This creamy soft cleanser, exfoliates the outer levels of the skin to reveal a bright and rejuvenated complexion. It simultaneously conditions the skin which preps it for the next steps in the routine.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
5 Macro Trends of the 2020s
Keep track of big shifts, not just the spike fads, that are transforming the beauty industry in this decade.