Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) 1,2-Hexanediol (and) Propanediol
Water Soluble, Non-Irritating Complete Preservation System
Spectrastat™ PHL is an optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to easily create self-preserving formulations.
- Broad pH range
- Water soluble
- Cold processable
- Non-irritating to skin
- Effective in surfactant systems, emulsions including sunscreens, and wipes & mask juices
- Easy to formulate
- Self-preserving from Hurdle Technology approach
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, EP-B, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.5 – 3% (w/w)
Standards & CertificationsView Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 1.5 - 3.0%
- O/W Sunscreens: 2.0 - 3.0%
- Cleansers: 1.5 - 3.0%
- Wipe Juices: 2.0 - 3.0%
- For use in cold or hot process
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ PHL includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- 1,2–Hexanediol: A skin conditioning agent and humectant that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation. It has a short carbon chain length which makes it ultra-mild on skin.
- Propanediol: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation.
Prototypes Created With This Product
Micellar Color Protection Shampoo
This novel shampoo provides sulfate-free cleansing without stripping the hair of its dyed color or natural oils.
Nourishing Oil Spray
This lightweight hair oil improves shine, softness and slip. In contrast to silicone-based hair oils, this product does not buildup on the hair or scalp and uses readily biodegradable emollients.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
Is Clean Beauty here to stay?
While the term is not regulated, brands and retailers have both made tremendous progress in defining this term and setting standards.