Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Propanediol
Cold Processable Broad Spectrum Preservation System
Spectrastat™ OL is an optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to easily create self-preserving formulations by creating an inhospitable environment for microbial growth.
- Broad pH range
- Cold processable
- Liquid and homogenous even at low temperatures
- Ideal for wet wipes, baby wipes, and cleansing wipes
- Effective in typical personal care products such as creams, lotions, shower gels, color cosmetics
- Self-preserving from Hurdle Technology approach
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, EP-B, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.0 – 2.0% (w/w)
Standards & CertificationsView Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level: 1 - 2%
- For use in cold or hot process
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C).
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a regulatory package.
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ OL includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Caprylyl Glycol: A skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.