Spectrastat™ CGE Natural MB
Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Caprylyl Glyceryl Ether (and) Propanediol
100% Natural Broad Spectrum Preservation System
Spectrastat™ CGE Natural MB is a plant-based, optimized combination of multifunctional ingredients that allows formulators to create self-preserving natural formulations.
- Broad pH range
- Effective in cleansing compositions, emulsions, wipes lotions and color cosmetics
- 100% certified biobased content
- Broad spectrum performance
- Self-preserving from Hurdle Technology approach
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Cold processable
- Liquid format
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.5 – 2.5% (w/w)
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level: 1.5 - 2.5%
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
- For clear formulations, solubilize using LexSolv™ Essential
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
Sustainability is embedded in INOLEX's design philosophy. Spectrastat™ CGE Natural MB design was guided by the Principles of Green Chemistry and life cycle thinking.
Green Chemistry & Sustainable Life Cycle Highlights:
- renewable feedstocks
- expected to be readily biodegradable*
- safe catalysts used
- non-aqueous product
- benign starting materials makes for safer chemical synthesis
- contributes to a safely preserved formula for consumer use
*based on its structure and/or the biodegradability of its components
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Spectrastat™ CGE Natural MB includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Caprylyl Glyceryl Ether: An easy to spread and light emollient that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation.
- Propanediol: A carrier for ease of formulation.
Strategies for Designing Sustainable Products
Explore the interactive tool on 'The 5 Guiding Requirements' to sustainable product design with functional ingredients.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.