Multifunctional Humectant & Preservation Component
Lexgard® O is a widely used humectant that can also boost or aid the preservation of cosmetic formulations by creating a biostatic environment that prevents growth of microorganisms.
- Bacteriostatic booster
- Multifunctional Medium Chain Terminal Diol
- Emollient, moisturizer & wetting agent
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Building block for a customized Hurdle Technology system
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-)
- Use in combination with yeast & mold control agent for broad spectrum protection
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 0.5 - 1.0%
- O/W Sunscreens: 0.5 - 1.0%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulation Guide for more information
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation component contributes to creating a hostile environment for microbial growth as part of a Hurdle Technology approach. Lexgard® O can be a complete system for certain formulations or a component of your broad spectrum customized system.
Caprylyl glycol is a skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation.
Request Lexgard® O Complimentary Items
Prototypes Created With This Product
The Shampoo Bar
A sustainable take on a traditional shampoo, this waterless bar cleans without stripping. AminoSensyl™ HC rehydrates and conditions hair. LexFeel™ N5 MB provides combability with the benefit of silicone-free.
Eye Protection Stick
This multifunctional eye serum is perfectly suited for workouts or an athleisure afternoon. It delivers sweat-proof protection from UV rays and glides on smooth while moisturizing.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
5 Macro Trends of the 2020s
Keep track of big shifts, not just the spike fads, that are transforming the beauty industry in this decade.
Strategies for Designing Sustainable Products
Explore the interactive tool on 'The 5 Guiding Requirements' to sustainable product design with functional ingredients.