Multifunctional Humectant & Preservation Component
Lexgard® O is a widely used humectant that can also boost or aid the preservation of cosmetic formulations by creating a biostatic environment that prevents growth of microorganisms.
- Bacteriostatic booster
- Multifunctional Medium Chain Terminal Diol
- Emollient, moisturizer & wetting agent
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Building block for a customized Hurdle Technology system
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-)
- Use in combination with yeast & mold control agent for broad spectrum protection
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 0.5 - 1.0%
- O/W Sunscreens: 0.5 - 1.0%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulation Guide for more information
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation component contributes to creating a hostile environment for microbial growth as part of a Hurdle Technology approach. Lexgard® O can be a complete system for certain formulations or a component of your broad spectrum customized system.
Caprylyl glycol is a skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation.
Prototypes Created With This Product
The Shampoo Bar
A sustainable take on a traditional shampoo, this waterless bar cleans without stripping. AminoSensyl™ HC rehydrates and conditions hair. LexFeel™ N5 MB provides combability with the benefit of silicone-free.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
5 Macro Trends of the 2020s
Keep track of big shifts, not just the spike fads, that are transforming the beauty industry in this decade.