Palm is a versatile, widely used crop. It has a high oil yield per land making it a desirable choice for high volume applications. However, negative practices within the palm industry pose environmental and social concerns conflicting with the inherent sustainability profile of the plant.

Inolex is committed to the betterment of the palm industry through traceability and accountability of the supply chain. While we are not directly involved with palm farming, milling, crushing, or refining, we embrace our responsibility as a palm-derivatives buyer and supplier to contribute to continuous improvements in the palm industry. We actively participate in multi-stakeholder programs that enable collaboration and improve traceability throughout the complex supply chain of the palm industry.

Sustainability Benefits

Palm produces about 5000 kg of oil per hectare per year
Palm cultivation is a valued source of employment and economic growth
All palm-derived products at Inolex are certified Mass Balance by RSPO
RSPO-certified growers account for 19% of global palm oil production
Oil can be extracted from both the palm fruit and the palm seed

Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)

Inolex has been a member of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) since 2012 and we have been sourcing exclusively RSPO Mass Balance certified palm derivatives since 2018. We are also actively engaged with the initiatives posed by the Action for Sustainable Derivatives (ASD) and contribute annually to the Sustainable Palm Index. Working in step with these organizations as well as our suppliers and clients, we are making palm a more sustainable feedstock.


RSPO ensures the credibility of sustainability claims on palm and works to limit issues such as deforestation and negative labor practices while supporting smallholders.

Our source for palm comes primarily from Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines, and limited sourcing from Thailand.

Due to efficiency of this plant, it is sustainable to continue to use palm for high volume applications as long as we work alongside RSPO to improve the practices within the industry. However, in the meantime, if you choose to formulate without palm, INOLEX has many non-palm options which you can filter for on the Our Products page.

RSPO Mass Balance Supply Chain Model

Palm Traceability

As an intermediate buyer of palm oil, we buy palm-derived materials from suppliers who buy directly from mills. Below we share our list of our suppliers and links to their mill list. Inolex derivatives could be indirectly sourced from any of these mills. Currently, 86% of our palm-derivatives volume is sourced from one of these suppliers. The remaining 14% are sources from suppliers who do not currently publish a mill list.

Palm Violations

Violations of the RSPO standards or Inolex ESG policies by our suppliers are listed below. If we have any direct grievances and/or violations from suppliers outside of the below listed suppliers, we will detail them here. At this time, as of April 28, 2023, we have no grievances to report outside of the below reports from our direct suppliers.

Access the RSPO grievance process here.

If you have a violation to report related to Inolex or the Inolex supply chain you can do so through RSPO and/or email us with the title “Palm Supply Chain Grievance”.

Palm Governance

This page was reviewed on April 28, 2023. Mill lists and grievance lists will be reviewed annually.