Preservation Component with Tocopherol
Lexgard® SC-50 is a multifunctional skin conditioning agent that can aid the preservation of cosmetic formulations by creating a biostatic environment that prevents growth of microorganisms. Lexgard® SC-50 can also provide odor control in deodorant applications and an anti-soaping effect in emulsions.
- Bacteriostatic booster
- Anti-soaping effect in emulsions
- Odor control in deodorant applications
- Multifunctional Medium Chain Terminal Diol
- Emollient, moisturizer, & wetting agent
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MIT, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Building block for a customized Hurdle Technology system
- Tocopherol processing aid for enhanced oxidative stability
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-)
- Use in combination with yeast & mold control agent for broad spectrum protection
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 0.5 - 2.0%
- O/W Sunscreens: 0.5 - 2.0%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 2.0%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 2.0%
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
- Mix well before using
- Can be used in cold or hot process
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
The Science Behind
This alternative preservation component contributes to creating a hostile environment for microbial growth as part of a Hurdle Technology approach. Lexgard® E can be a complete system for certain formulations or a component of your broad spectrum customized system.
Ethylhexylglycerin is a multifunctional component. It is a skin conditioning agent that also prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
Strategies for Designing Sustainable Products
Explore the interactive tool on 'The 5 Guiding Requirements' to sustainable product design with functional ingredients.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.