Caprylyl Glycol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin
Preservation Component Combination with Tocopherol
Lexgard® SC-10 is a cold processable blend of humectants that can also boost or aid the preservation of cosmetic formulations.
- Bacteriostatic booster
- Multifunctional Medium Chain Terminal Diol
- Blend of 70% Lexgard® O and approximately 30% Lexgard® E with Tocopherol
- Humectant, emollient, moisturizer
- Cold processable
- Tocopherol processing aid for enhanced oxidative stability
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, MITs, phenoxyethanol, and other traditional preservatives
- Building block for a customized Hurdle Technology system
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-)
- Use in combination with yeast & mold control agent for broad spectrum protection
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 0.5 - 2.0%
- O/W Sunscreens: 0.5 - 2.0%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 2.0%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 2.0%
- For use in cold or hot process
- Mix well before using
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C)
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Lexgard® SC-10 includes the following multifunctional components and can be a complete system for certain formulations or a component of your broad spectrum customized system.
- Caprylyl Glycol: A skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation
- Ethylhexylglycerin: A skin conditioning agent that prevents the growth of bacteria in formulation
Request Lexgard® SC-10 Complimentary Items
Strategies for Designing Sustainable Products
Explore the interactive tool on 'The 5 Guiding Requirements' to sustainable product design with functional ingredients.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
5 Macro Trends of the 2020s
Keep track of big shifts, not just the spike fads, that are transforming the beauty industry in this decade.