Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Benzyl Alcohol (and) Glycerin
Traditional Preservative System
Benzostat™ is a paraben-free preservative blend that can be used to provide cost effective, broad spectrum antimicrobial protection.
- Broad pH range
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Broad spectrum performance
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, and MIT
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.0 – 1.5% (w/w)
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 1.0 - 1.5%
- O/W Sunscreens: 1.0-1.5%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C and mix well before using.
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C).
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Benzostat™ includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Benzyl alcohol: A traditional preservative
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.
Prototypes Created With This Product
Split End Repair Cream
This luxurious cream uses the novel weightless conditioning power of 100% natural and quat-free AminoSensyl™ HC to infuse life and shine into dry hair to repair heat damage, manage flyaways and quench split ends.
Ultra Moisture Body Lotion
A therapeutic body lotion to nourish dry, cracked skin and provide a strong moisture-barrier for protection against further drying. The rich texture blankets the skin leaving it soft to the touch.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
Natural Cosmetic Preservation with Spectrastat™ Complete Solutions
Consumer trends perpetuate the need for alternative preservation with broad spectrum performance.
Inolex Granted New Patent for Preservation Technology
Demonstrating a commitment to advancing the field of safe, effective, and sustainable options for alternative preservation of formulated products.