Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Benzyl Alcohol (and) Glycerin
Traditional Preservative System
Benzostat™ is a paraben-free preservative blend that can be used to provide cost effective, broad spectrum antimicrobial protection.
- Broad pH range
- Effective in emulsions, creams and lotions in addition to surfactant-based products such as shower gels, facial cleansers and shampoos
- Broad spectrum performance
- Free of parabens, formaldehyde donors, and MIT
- Controls bacteria (gram +/-), yeast, and mold
- Pass results with industry standard tests: EP-A, USP51, and PCPC
- Pass results with recommended use level at pH 4-8: 1.0 – 1.5% (w/w)
Standards & Certifications
How to Use
Recommended Use Level:
- O/W Emulsion: 1.0 - 1.5%
- O/W Sunscreens: 1.0-1.5%
- Cleansers: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Wipe Juices: 1.0 - 1.5%
- Gently heat to 45 - 50°C and mix well before using.
- Add to water phase (below 80°C) or during cool down phase (~40°C).
Please request an Alternative Preservation Formulators Guide for more information.
For more information about the origin and processing of this ingredient, please request a Technical & Regulatory Dossier.
This alternative preservation system employs the Hurdle Technology approach, utilizing a combination of multifunctional ingredients to create a hostile environment for microbial growth.
Benzostat™ includes the following multifunctional components to create a complete broad spectrum preservation system:
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A 100% natural organic acid and chelating agent that prevents the growth of yeast and mold in formulation. Unlike most organic acids used in preservation, caprylhydroxamic acid remains undissociated at neutral pH.
- Benzyl alcohol: A traditional preservative
- Glycerin: A 100% natural humectant that acts as a carrier for ease of formulation. Glycerin also reduces water activity for preservation effects.
Request Benzostat™ Complimentary Items
Prototypes Created With This Product
Split End Repair Cream
This luxurious cream uses the novel weightless conditioning power of 100% natural and quat-free AminoSensyl™ HC to infuse life and shine into dry hair to repair heat damage, manage flyaways and quench split ends.
Ultra Moisture Body Lotion
A therapeutic body lotion to nourish dry, cracked skin and provide a strong moisture-barrier for protection against further drying. The rich texture blankets the skin leaving it soft to the touch.
Hurdle Technology in Cosmetics: An Alternative Preservation Approach
All formulas need to be protected from microbes. Learn the science behind the Hurdle Technology approach to cosmetic formulation preservation.
Natural Cosmetic Preservation with Spectrastat™ Complete Solutions
Consumer trends perpetuate the need for alternative preservation with broad spectrum performance.
Inolex Granted New Patent for Preservation Technology
Demonstrating a commitment to advancing the field of safe, effective, and sustainable options for alternative preservation of formulated products.